The CIOs have a crucial role to play in driving the transformation of warehouse management with IoT.
FREMONT, CA: The internet of things (IoT) is transforming the industrial landscape, bringing the capabilities of sensors, internet connectivity, and processors to the sector. Its contributions have changed supply chain management, enabling better planning, scheduling, and transportation. The utilization of IoT sensors allows users to extract information from the physical environment and transfer them to robust computing systems and obtain relevant insights.
As information technology (IT) permeates the logistics sector, the role of CIOs is becoming critical in the various segments of the supply chain. By incorporating IoT into the digital strategy of their company, CIOs can bring greater visibility to supply chain throughout its lifecycle. The common challenges faced by the warehousing sector include lack of space, offloading delays, poor stock turn-around ratio, lack of visibility, and limited ROI. The involvement of CIO in the logistics department of the company can facilitate the introduction of digital technology into the sector.
IoT forms the backbone of warehouse technology and is a critical link for the integration of robotics, drones, and sensors. The consolidation of various technologies for supply chain automation requires the CIOs to facilitate a connected ecosystem in the warehouse for more efficient delivery experience for the company as well as consumers.
The digital transformation in the logistics sector requires the CIOs to adopt a robust approach which can balance the business needs with the implementation of technology. The CIOs can refer the following pointers when incorporating technology into warehouse management.
• Form strategies to accommodate technological change into the business processes without causing downtime.
• Focus on promoting agility, speed, and efficiency with the adoption of suitable technology.
• Facilitate better scalability and sustainability by developing a robust governance model.
• Equip the moving parts in the warehouse with sensors to facilitate end-to-end inventory tracking.
• Implement augmented reality technology such as smart glasses to enable hands-free identification and control by warehouse floor personnel.
• Leverage robust data collection and data storage systems to create quality datasets.
• Employ data analytics and predictive analytics techniques to recognize trends and opportunities.
• Implement cloud computing solutions for greater visibility and seamless remote access.
• Employ drones for automated tasking during the night to reduce downtime and drive efficiency.
• Install sensors in machines to monitor output and enable preventative maintenance.
• Utilize quality data to design predictive models and reduce unplanned downtime of machines and equipment, identify energy wastages, and track errors.
• Leverage automated vehicles and drones with connected sensors to track items in the warehouse.
• Collaborate with relevant partners and solution providers to enable a seamless transformation.
Digitization in the logistics sector can facilitate higher collaboration and enhance control in the supply chain, enabling better decision making, enhanced agility, and reduced costs. The integration of IoT technology can connect and bolster the various technologies leveraged in the warehouse, enhancing inward and outward logistics, material handling, quality, maintenance, manufacturing conversion, and so on. It will not only bring speed and agility into warehouse management but will also enable improved handling of products.
It enables seamless inventory management by utilizing real-time data received from sensors to ensure the measurement of actual inventory levels. The warehouse personnel can get real-time updates on inventory count and alerts for any mismatches between the inventory data in ERP and the actual inventory in the warehouse. It brings greater efficiency into the restocking process. Besides enabling automated navigation, it also offers end-to-end visibility on inventory.
The implementation of IoT significantly improves efficiency, operations, and revenue opportunities for businesses. By incorporating the emerging technology into the overall business strategy, CIOs can prepare their organizations for transformation and pave the way for a more successful and competitive supply chain.